Monday, February 27, 2006

My Life is a Laptop Balanced Precariously on a Binder and Two Pillows, with Its Power Cord Attached with Scotch Tape

I am writing this post on my laptop, which is sitting balanced precariously on top of a plastic binder, which sits on two pillows. Further, the power cord is scotch taped into the back of the computer. And yet. And yet, at any moment, even in this magic position, I may still lose power to my laptop, which no longer has a battery that actually holds a charge, because the power cord no longer attaches securely to the laptop, and even when it does attach (due to scotch tape) if just the right atmospheric conditions are not met, if the Gods are in an unhappy mood, if the wind blows outside my house, the connections between the little metal pieces in the power cord and the laptop will cease to match up and instantly, in the middle of whatever I am doing, the computer will shut down. It took me all evening to figure out what was wrong and how to fix this situation.

(Pardon me while I save the work I've done so far in case of said catastrophe.)

Phew. Okay. I almost had a heart attack there because my sister's cat put her paws on the pillows to demand food. Thank god this did not upset the powers that be.

Do you have any idea how long it took to fill in a simple Excel sheet with the Democratic Town Committee meetings for the next four months? A task that should have taken me an hour maybe? Four. Four hours. And several times I had to waste my time going back to redo work I had already done that was lost by the sudden shutdowns, until I learned to save after the entry of every row of information. Which reminds me . . .

(Okay, saved again.)

Why am I going into such detail about my ghetto laptop? Because I feel that this is a strong metaphore for my current life situation.

I was going to use the rest of this space to go back over the metaphore and show how it directly relates to my life, but my back aches from sitting in this precarious position to type, and besides, I'm getting sick of me whining, so I can only imagine how anyone reading this is feeling. So we'll sum up the metaphore by simply saying: My life has been hard lately.

Complete non sequitur: Willie Nelson is the coolest country singer ever. First he evaded his taxes, then he sent cases of his whiskey to the Texas Democrats when they were on the lam in Oklahoma, then he recorded a gay-themed Country song entitled, "Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly (Fond of Each Other)."

No comments: