Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Is Being Single a Disease?

"What did you do for Valentine's Day? Did you have fun last night?"

When I was with someone I could self-righteously say nothing! No more fun than usual! I did nothing because the holiday is a sham! But now if I say that, even though it is just as true, I will only sound bitter to all my coupled friends.

I didn't do nothing. I skipped work (was supposed to make romantic Scorpion Bowls for Two all night), got a margharita pizza and a bottle of red wine; had chocolate for dessert. Watched Gilmore Girls on tv.

If you are not with someone, it's supposed to be Singles Awareness Day. Not sure who thought up this one, but I'm betting it was a self-righteous couple person. Ooh. We must be aware of our single friends! Gimme a break. I don't want anyone to spend time being "aware" of me or feeling sorry for me, or trying to be conscientious of me spending this day alone.

I don't give a shit about the day or the fact that I am single so why should anyone else? You know why I got a bottle of wine and margharita pizza? Because I do that about once every week or two and tonight I didn't feel like cooking. The end. The chocolate? The same, except unfortunately I have chocolate more often than every week or two.

So now I suppose this whole post sounds bitter. It's not meant to. It's just my reaction to having heard that question and that term Singles Awareness Day once too often over the last 36 hours. Do you know what Singles Awareness Day sounds like? Like it's a disease. AIDS Awareness Day, Hunger Awareness Day, Disability Awareness Day, Fibromyalgia Awareness Day. Singles Awareness Day.

How about changing it to It's Good to Be Single Day? Because I think it is. I like sleeping with who I want, doing what I want, when I want to. I like worrying about me and me alone. One day I might want a relationship again. But now, right now, I think it is good to be single.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally was up watching Gilmore Girls too!

It was such a PERFECT episode for the day too...

dan said...

If it makes you feel better, I'd be your Valentine.

;)

Anonymous said...

Started off really bitter and the las paragraph saved you.

U had some anger pent up there to release didnt you....

SCREW EVERYONE ELSE - thats what i say

Tina said...

Aw, thanks Dan.

Yeah, anon. The whole Singles Awareness Day term and the sense of pity that I get from people angers me. I don't FEEL pitiable and so I don't like to get pity.

Anonymous said...

It went without saying id be your valentine.
Didnt have ur address thou!

So did you get any annonomous ones?

Tina said...

Aw, you're doubly sweet, anon. I added my email address to my profile so you could email me a belated valentine. Not that you have to.

I got no anonymous ones. I got one from a couple of male friends though.

Anonymous said...

Couple of male friends hey? Nice


I myt jst do that