Monday, October 15, 2007

A Decision Made

The other day, I had begun to brown some ground turkey in preparation for my lunch of (fake) beef stroganoff, when I heard a cat meowing. My downstairs neighbors' cat sometimes comes up the back common stairs to visit, so I opened the door to see if she was out there, when out ran Andy the Giant CatDog. I don't allow my cats outside, so I ran downstairs and luckily the outside door had not been left open (despite the fact that to my chagrin, it so often is) so he was trapped. I picked him up and went back upstairs.

To my locked apartment door. I did not have the key. I did not have my cell phone. I was not wearing shoes, makeup, or a bra. My hair wasn't brushed. I shoved Andy out onto the confined 2nd floor porch and walked around to the front of the house and rang the neighbors' doorbells. No one was home. Of course. I walked next door. No one there. Beyond that, I don't much know many of my neighbors, so I considered: To ring the doorbell of the gay couple kitty-corner to me? One of them is a realtor, but I think the other guy is home most of the day. The new people across the street, or the Jehova's Witnesses? I didn't want my first impression on the new people to be my current state of appearance, so I went with the Witnesses, despite the fact that I may have to engage in a theological discussion.

They weren't home. No one was. It was the middle of the day and I am a lazy bum without a job who better find one before January, because then I might have to move back with my dad. Anywho...I noticed a guy on a cell phone walking down the street, and weighed burning down my home (remember the cooking turkey? on the gas stove?), with making a fool of my nasty self to a stranger. I opted to be a fool.

Called my sister, waited out front for 20 minutes more until my neighbor came home before my sister got there and got let in, called her back, told her to go home, saved 1/2 the turkey (so much for leftovers), and vowed to hide a key somewhere outside, and also begin grooming myself again.

I mean really...without even a bra? If it weren't me, I'd be disgusted. Wait, I am anyway.

3 comments:

dan said...

You should have seen me after my brother died.

It's hard to do mundane stuff... like you should somehow be doing something more important. Or just the energy isn't there.

Take care of yourself, because she would want you to. It's the only way to continue.

Just like Pinky and the Brain. Same thing we do every night. :)

Anonymous said...

Dan's right, the mundane stuff are tough for awhile. It does get easier though. So yes, take care of yourself, maybe throw on a bra. Just in case.

Kay Richardson said...

Oy!