Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I Leave my Mark on the Blue Ridge Parkway

I've spent the last week on a road trip to Florida to visit my uncle and leave some of my mom's ashes with him. I drove by myself and met my sisters at the airport down there, because I love me my road trippin.

Today I drove 120 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway on my way through Virginia. Partway through the drive, I really, really needed to use the bathroom but there was none for miles around. Out of desperation, I scoped out the scenic overlooks until I found one that was hidden from the main road by trees. Then I pulled into the far end so that my car would protect me from the view of anyone who happened to pull in after me.

Still, I was nervous about the trees. The leaves were fallen off many of them, and though I couldn't see the road, perhaps someone on the road could still see me. There were mad cops patrolling the Parkway and most of them were sitting in scenic overlooks. The last thing I needed was to be arrested for public urinating and defacing a national park. So I decided to open my car door so that I was protected on two sides by the car, and on the other two sides--a mountain cliff.

Trouble was, Ginny the puppy was in the car, and with the door open, she could jump out and run away, so I put her on her leash and held the leash with one hand while I dropped trow with the other and held my jeans and panties out of the line of fire. As soon as I started to pee, Ginny came running over and sniffed at my steaming, yellow business. It was perhaps the most awkward moment I've had in my life. Okay, that's an exaggeration. Definitely the most awkward moment in a national park.

Anyway, I shook my bare ass dry, yanked up my jeans, and we got in the car and drove away from the scene of the crime as casually as possible. I do believe that the experience of seeing her mommy urinate outdoors had a positive effect on her, though, as she has not had any accidents since.

And that is the mark I left on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. And that is not the most interesting story involving urination that has happened to me in the last month either. Stay tuned for the wrap-up on my dating life of late.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looooove the ps. From urination to dating. Is this foreshadowing?

Tina said...

It is, at that.