Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Birthday, a Date, and Rhode Island

Damn. I've got to remember to start saving the drafts of posts. I was nearly done with one about my birthday and now alas it is gone. And I am lazy so here is the short version: Woke up. Stayed in bed cuz it's my birthday. Finally got out of bed, legs were both asleep, did unnatural split. Yeow! Had a massage (first proffessional one I've had). Went to dinner with a friend, then drinks with a couple of friends. The end. Ah, but the highlight was picking out the panties for said massage, so here's the long version of that:

It was close to laundry day so I put on my natty panties, then realized that I do not know massage protocol. Do you leave them on? Or do you go with the full monty? So in case the massage therapist would see mine, I switched to a pair of nicer but still clean panties that are a bit tight. Then I thought, what if you are supposed to take everything off? Then the massage therapist will see the panty lines on my skin and think that I am in denial about what size I am. So I then proceeded to (don't read the following if you are faint of heart--just skip to the next paragraph) smell test my dirty nice fitting panties to make sure they were clean enough.

End result: Left them on, but was covered by a blanket the whole time. Nice massage. Would recommend.

Next up last week: A date. Gulp. I dread dating. I haven't really "dated" anyone since the beginning of my relationship with the Big X. I mean, I've been with guys, as you know, but I prefer to skip the whole contrived getting-to-know-you dating that the rest of the world goes through. Even with the Republican I was with for a month or so last year, we didn't really date so much as hang out and, well, you know.

And that has suited me just fine, but apparently, I'm told, if I would like to start some sort of real relationship at some point, I really need to date. I do want a relationship at some point, even if the last attempt (see Republican) caused me to have panic attacks. I'd like to think at some point I will get over the panic attacks and be able to settle down.

Okay. So I Dated on Friday. We had been emailing and had exchanged pictures. We know a lot of the same people through politics so we have a lot in common, and through several emails this guy hadn't done anything freaky so I deigned to meet him. I wanted to only meet for drinks because I still wasn't convinced that this was going to work, but drinks turned into dinner. He turned out to be pretty nice. We even made out a little when we said goodbye.

When I got home (I live 5 minutes from the place we had met up) I got a call from him--his car had been towed! So I turned around, picked him up, and drove 30 minutes outside the city with him to pick it up. You know, in New Haven when your car is towed, they bring it somewhere in the city. I know this because just the day before I had gotten my car towed in New Haven. With Goober in it, no less! I think I was more upset about that whole experience than she was.

So it was a bad thing to have happen on a first date in one way, but good in others. I got to see how he handles stressful situations--he does not get angry and yell and scream (which is what the Big X would have done). Instead, he said at least it allowed him to spend more time with me. And if this thing does turn into a real relationship, it makes for a good first date story. And we got to smooch again.

Unfortunately, the smooching was cut short because I really had to pee! I swear, my awful bladder acts up in the worst of times. He asked me if I would come in while he got his car and I said a quick, "NO!" I didn't mean to be harsh about it so I explained the sit as politely as I could and was on my way.

We are supposed to see each other again this Friday (provided my current cold stops kicking my ass) so I must have done something right.

Side note: I went on a literal Guilt Trip with my dad this weekend. After my mom went to Florida with the middle sister, Stacy, my youngest sister, Kristy, and I got guilted into going on a mini road trip with him to Rhode Island. It wasn't bad. We ate at a cool restaurant, Fire + Ice, in Providence, and saw some beautiful mansions in Newport. Plus there were little entertaining bits like when my dad said to me, "A lot of these mansions are free!"

I found that a bit hard to believe since when I was there a year and a half ago, they all cost money, so I went to look at what he was reading. "See," he pointed. "It says right here, 'Admission free.' " What it actually said was, "Admission fee!"

No comments: