Sunday, January 07, 2007

Not-Completely-Used-Up Kleenex: Insomniac Ramblings

As I find myself stricken once more with insomnia, here is the great dilemma that I am pondering: To throw away a not-completely-used-up kleenex or not to throw away a not-completely-used-up kleenex.

I always used to throw kleenex away, even when I had only blown my nose once upon said kleenex, but over the years, I have become snifflier and snifflier. I am now, I suspect, a girl who is allergic to cats. However, I refuse to find out if this is true because I own two cats, so instead I use more and more kleenex. Take Benadryl? Can't. It interacts with my happy pills and could kill me. Fun, huh? (The killing me is a fact I found out all on my own, not something that my doctor or pharmacist ever told me, by the way.)

So since I began using more and more kleenex and since I am living alone for the first time ever (causing, among other things, me to become stingy with things since I pay all the bills alone and don't actually work full-time), I started not throwing away not-completely-used-up kleenex. If half or more of the kleenex remains virginal, I leave it on the bathroom counter next to the kleenex box so that I may reuse it later.

Tonight, I realized that my sister had stopped in and used my bathroom today and was forced to look at a not-completely-used-up kleenex as she washed her hands afterward. (At least, I hope she washed her hands afterward; you never can tell, you know, who does not wash their hands. It always amazes me in public restrooms.) I am suddenly mortified at having become someone who keeps not-completely-used-up kleenex hanging around the house.

I often have unexpected guests and don't have time to tidy up, so for a moment I considered beginning to hide my not-completely-used-up kleenex in the medicine cabinet so that it would be out of sight. I quickly decided that this would be a bad idea, as it is much, much worse to have someone discover that you are hiding not-completely-used-up kleenex inside your medicine cabinet than to find it laying on the bathroom counter. You see, I may have just accidentally forgotten to throw away a not-completely-used-up kleenex that is lying about on the counter, but a not-completely-used-up kleenex hidden in the medicine cabinet is clearly the work of a deranged mind. That indicates premeditated saving of this incriminating item.

So now as I try to make myself tired, I am wondering whether it is worth the money I save to keep the not-completely-used-up kleenex for further use, risking embarrassment if there are surprise visitors, or if I should just throw away the damn kleenex, whether it is not-completely-used-up or not.

Ah, the troubles of insomniac, cat-allergic, in-denial, cheapskates.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Put it back in the box. Problem solved.

Tina said...

What a perfect solution, ameloblast! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Yeah until a guest needs a kleenex Tina.

Tina said...

Hmm. That would present a problem, Jenna. Perhaps I should place the kleenex back in the box and then hide the box in the medicine cabinet...I must think on this...

dan said...

Then what would your guests do for Kleenex?

I think you're worth the $1.19 for the Kleenex. Unless you're buying that $2 lotion stuff.

That's a tougher call. ;)