Saturday, February 16, 2008

28/martinis

I think the age of 28 is when some people make the switch from shots of vodka or mixed drinks to martinis. Now, not all switch. Some continue with the mixed drinks or switch from shots to swigs straight from the bottle. And even if they do make the switch, there are grades of martini drinker, ranging from the cosmo and appletini to the espresso martini and the pomegranate martini to the straight up vodka or gin martini, and if someone is really hardcore they’ll have it bone dry. But no matter which type of martini drinker you are, the bottom line is, you have learned to appreciate the finer things, in a purer form.

There is of course also the difference between the olive and the twist, but that is for another story…

The MF is a shot of vodka kind of guy right now, but then he’s only 25. I like him because he’s a shot of vodka guy right now—because he’s young and brings out the young in me. But I also like him because I can see in him the Ketel One Martini guy of the future. He is both the thing I like and the thing I need.

I guess the question is, do I want to stick around until he turns 28 (or thereabouts) and turns into Mr. Martini? Mr. Shot can’t settle down and commit to being exclusive, but he is awesome in bed and a whole lot of fun out of it. And let’s face it, he’s not Mr. Mixed Drink. That is very important. He is, that is to say, a manly man and likes to take risks, try new things. He knows what he wants and it’s the same thing I want.

Mr. Martini right now wouldn’t be Mr. Right because as smooth as he is, he is the guy who is looking for a wife, possibly a mother for his children who will stay at home and care for them and when he comes home from a hard day of white-collar work, share those martinis with him before they sit down to dinner. And I am so not that girl right now. Or he’s looking for a mistress to fuck on the side when his wife is at home. And I might be that girl right now . . . I’m KIDDING! I swear!

I am too self-absorbed to have a kid and I like my independence and what I’m doing right now too much to want to stay home. I would share a martini before dinner right now, but I wouldn’t cook dinner most nights. I like to drink a little too much, I like to be a little too free, I like that the only things I have to do with my pets is feed them and take care of their crap. I’m a girl who is much more comfortable with Mr. Shot.

But someday, I do what a Mr. Martini. The question is, I guess, will this Mr. Shot turn into the Mr. Martini I need? And will I want him in 3 years? Or will I want something else sooner? Or will he not want me, Ms. Bone Dry with a Twist?

One thing I know the future holds: The MF will be a twist guy. I’m a twist girl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At 34, I'm still a mixed drink girl. I haven't made the crossover to martinis and I doubt I ever will. I also do vodka shots...and whatever shot one lays out before me though those sour puss ones are disgusting as is anything else involving Jack. But interesting philosophy.

Robot Dancers said...

Ican't handle alcohol at all...*shudder*