Monday, June 12, 2006

I am my Own Woman

I like having six pillows on my bed and having no one to blame but myself if the bed's not made. Of course, I always make it so there's no one to get mad at about it either.

I like that I adopted a kitten who was abandoned by its mother immediately after birth and I didn't have to ask anyone if it was okay. Not that I want to be the lady with ten cats but it's good to know that I can have as many cats or dogs or parakeets as I desire.

I don't own any parakeets but I remember owning one when I was little. He would bathe in my cupped hands under the running water from the sink. He would sit on my shoulder or sometimes perch on my finger. I suppose it wouldn't be a good idea to own a parakeet any more, now that I have 2 cats.

I like that I can watch anything I want to on TV. I can watch Law & Order in its many incarnations, Desparate Housewives, Gray's Anatamy, etc., and I have to justify my choices to no one. I do not have to bargain. 1 hour of DH for 1 hour of Discovery Channel.

I like that when I rent a movie, I rent whatever the hell I desire. No trade-offs--your turn to choose an action-adventure so that next time I can choose a romantic comedy. And the truth is, I sometimes choose an action-adventure all on my own, but it is my choice.

I like that every single evening is free for me to use as I please. Sometimes I work late. Okay, a lot of times I work late. But sometimes I go to the bar, sometimes I go to a friend's, sometimes I might have sex with FWB. Sometimes I might have a girls' night out. Often I stay home all by myself and put my pajamas on; have a glass of wine; read a book until I pass out.

I like that every choice I make is mine alone. It's been over a year but the whole owning my life thing hasn't worn off yet. I answer to no one but myself. I am my own woman.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's a parakeets?

ah singledom, singledom...

dan said...

Advantages and disavtanges to both sides -- single or not.

Although, it's never a bad thing to appreciate what you have as long as you have it. :)

Tina said...

3f1--an annoying little bird that looks like a parrot but it's a whole lot stupider. Don't know why I wanted one so badly last night.

Jenna--Yeah, I'm sure I'll feel that way again tomorrow. In case you can't tell yet, I swing back and forth on the issue quite often.