Tuesday, March 14, 2006

National Procrastination Week: I'm One Week Late!

So last week was National Procrastination Week (thanks to Jerry for the heads-up), a week that celebrates what I am all about, and here I am writing about it a week late, which would be totally acceptable if the reason I was late in this post had been procrastination, but it was just the opposite! The fact that I am writing about National Procrastination Week a week late because I was just too busy to write about it last week is simply unforgivable. I may have to redesign my occupation in my profile if this keeps up.

All last week I planned a major event for the campaign I am working on. The event took place yesterday and was a huge success, covered by all the local news outlets and written about in national political blogs. Of particular interest to me was a blog about the musical selection, which I spent a great deal of time working on. The whole entry, written by a music exec (this guy does this for a living!), was glowing, but here's a great quote:

"I don't know about you, but I'd sure as hell rather have someone . . . who can groove to Natalie Merchant, Michael Stipe, Bob Marley, Joni Mitchell, Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Sponge Bob and... THE RAMONES than some uptight, out-of-touch, reactionary relic who thinks demonizing young people and pop culture is a way to inspire fear and fear-based support (ala Bush) in parents concerned about cultural trends that have moved faster than they have."

Also this morning I received several emails and phone calls, including one from the candidate that confirmed that yes, it's true: I rock! So professionally I'm feeling pretty good about myself but personally I lost a little balance in the last week or so. I mean, a major feature of my personality is my procrastination skill. I cannot lose that ability just because of a silly thing like a career! So tonight I made this pledge to myself: I am going to--no matter what is going on--allow myself at least one hour a day of pure procrastination.

Every evening when I get home from work or school from now on, I'm going to pour a glass of wine, or shake up a martini, or pop open a beer (seeing a theme here?) and relax while I write a blog entry. Following that, I will . . . do nothing. I will do nothing but waste time until that hour is up. If possible (like tonight) I will waste two hours. I know I am a busy woman these days but can I really be too busy to drink and procrastinate? I mean, ok. If the napping has to go, so be it. But the drinking and procrastinating must continue!

So here I am, celebrating National Procrastination Week one week late, and while my reasons for being late on celebrating may not be in the true spirit of procrastination, at least my way of celebrating is. So what if I end up sleeping 5 or 4 hours a night instead of 6? Who needs sleep anyway? Procrastination is so much more important.

1 comment:

dan said...

Success at something you love is pretty damn life-affirming, isn't it?